Raleigh, Wake County, 1909, Type B-14 Flag cancel used on an overall advertising cover sent to Baskerville, Virginia. This machine cancel was used from 1908-1910. The Progressive Farmer magazine cover was unsealed indicating it carried a circular. The one-cent Washington-Franklin stamp paid the circular rate.
Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, (1863), Type 5, 30.5 mm blue undated postmark, used from 1862 until 1865. The envelope was handmade from yellow, green, pink, and purple wallpaper and addressed to Hillsboro.
Oxford, Granville County, January 6, , CSA No. 2, 10-cents blue, lithographed J. T. Patterson printed stamp canceled by Type 3, 33.5 mm black circular datestamp. The stamp was unofficially rouletted 14. The envelope is handmade from an 1850s school committee report.
Leo, NC, Washington County, August 1, 1852. This unusual heart shaped postmark is one of only six known examples of this handstamp. Postmaster Thomas White opened the post office on December 20, 1850 and shortly began using this fancy handstamp. He would be replaced by John Phelps on January 27, 1852. The post office was discontinued June 1, 1853. Note the reverse n of North Carolina.
Salem, NC, Forsyth County, Scott # 92 and #113. Postmarked with a Type 3 Salem handstamp dated November 12 (1869), this cover is one of ten recorded uses of the 2 cent 1869 issue in North Carolina. It is the only Salem cover. The cover bears a corner card of F. D. Scales, Attorney at Law, Winston, NC. The name Watson has been added in manuscript. It was delivered to Leaksville, NC.