Leo, NC, Washington County, August 1, 1852. This unusual heart shaped postmark is one of only six known examples of this handstamp. Postmaster Thomas White opened the post office on December 20, 1850 and shortly began using this fancy handstamp. He would be replaced by John Phelps on January 27, 1852. The post office was discontinued June 1, 1853. Note the reverse n of North Carolina.
Salem, NC, Forsyth County, Scott # 92 and #113. Postmarked with a Type 3 Salem handstamp dated November 12 (1869), this cover is one of ten recorded uses of the 2 cent 1869 issue in North Carolina. It is the only Salem cover. The cover bears a corner card of F. D. Scales, Attorney at Law, Winston, NC. The name Watson has been added in manuscript. It was delivered to Leaksville, NC.
Salisbury, NC, Rowan County, August, 1860. Strip of three Scoot #24. This cover bears a die sunk cameo of Martin Richwine Oak Grove Rowan County, NC. Printed by William Eaves, a printer in New York from 1858-1860. Eaves was one of 80 known printers at that time of die sunk cameo covers. No post office ever existed at Oak Grove in Rowan County. A church by this name did exist at this time. The cover is addressed to Will L. Scott, Esq., Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina. Scott was an attorney in Greensboro. The notation indicates the cover was from or about I. E. Hopkin and $30.00.
Yadkinville, NC, Dec. 4 ca 1860, Yadkinville opened its first post office on September 17, 1853. Some time after its third Postmaster William H. Rodwell was appointed on August 22, 1859. He began using this very unusual handstamp made from printers’ type, the scalloped edges around the town name makes for a very distinct handstamp. Straight edge postmarks are among the scarcest used in North Carolina. By August 9, 1860, a new handstamp device would be in use in Yadkinville.
Female Institute, Warrenton, NC, Slave carried cover, ca. 1850s. The Warrenton Female Academy was founded in 1841 as a Presbyterian school for girls. It changed shortly to a Methodist affiliation. The name was changed to Warrenton Female College in 1856. The school was highly praised by contemporaries. In 1863 after the burning of Greensboro Female College, many of the schools’ students transferred here. When Greensboro reopened in 1873, Warrenton College closed. This cover addressed to Wm. Hedrick Esq. is manuscript (per boy). This was an indication of a slave carrying the mail to an individual.